Friday 4 November 2011

Filling a blank space

I have this wall in my kitchen that was happily empty. Till I started browsing Pinterest. Then I realised it needed something on it. I did have one particular craft idea that would have gone there oh so nicely, but I don't think I will ever find the time to do that project... at least not any time soon anyway. Anyways, the inspiration for this one actually came from TradeMe. I have no idea what I was browsing, but this particular wall art thing stood out to me, but I wasn't going to pay for it when I knew I could make it for free (had all the materials I needed just lying around - cardboard, a craft knife and paint).

This is what I created:





All I did, was find plates, bowls, plastic containers of various circle sizes. Grabbed an old cardboard box from the recycling and found my trusty craft knife. I looked for circles that would give me roughly the same dimensions per circle. This is what they looked like to start with:



As you can see, I off centred them, looks better that way. I then used my craft knife and carefully cut them all out. I did this 4x.




Once I had them all cut out, it put them back together and painted them (half black, half white, I found I needed 2 coats to get them looking nice. I wanted to throw a colour in there too, but my whole kitchen is in black and stainless steel, and the walls are a greyish pinkish colour so I thought I best stick to plain black and white and I'm glad I did). I'm quite happy with how it turned out, not bad for something that didn't cost me anything!

Another wall art I have done previously was in my bedroom - I always liked those wall quotes you can get but (in case you can't tell) I loathe to spend money on things like that. So I made my own - printed the letters out, traced them onto cardboard, cut them, painted them, and blu-tac'ed them to the wall:


(BTW it IS straight on the wall, I just took the photo on an angle!)

5 comments:

  1. Looks awesome Kate!! I might steal your idea with those circles, it looks awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. steal away! I'm so happy with how they turned out. They may not have that "professional" finish as ones I might buy would have, but then they didn't cost me anything so I'm good with that lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome cant wait to see it in person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh I want to make some of those circles - they look great eh

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi i know this was long time ago since you posted but... it is such a great idea, you are so creative, can i ask you what type of paint did you use for the circles?

    ReplyDelete