Monday 6 February 2012

Baking with a Hangover

Ok, I wasn't reeeeeaaaaalllly hungover (no headache, just a tad sleep deprived haha). Had a couple of friends over the other night while hubby was out of town - a bit of a girls night... wine, singstar, wine, Just Dance, wine... you get the drift haha. One friend stayed over (as she doesn't live local) and the next morning I had the hankering to make cupcakes.

I thought I would team my urge to bake with my urge to try new recipes each week. Which was great. I found the most fantastic recipe. Like, seriously, amazing. I actually fell asleep dreaming about the cupcakes last night, they were that yummy. And they only use very basic ingredients (I'm all for recipes that mean I don't need a trip to the shops first!). So soft, so moist, so so so delish.
HOWEVER
I have learnt I am a TERRIBLE decorator when I have had minimal boozy sleep. Therefore I cannot show you photos of my work, be too embarrassing haha. We had a piping bag spring leaks everywhere, and in the end I just "knifed it" (spread it on with a knife). My baking is rarely all that well presented as it is, but these took the cake haha.

But I shall share with you the recipe. Again, the only alterations I made were dairy free substitutes in place of milk. This was a Pinterest find... I didn't make the icing on this recipe, I made up a choc-peppermint buttercream icing to go on top. Oh, I lie, I also used less sugar because it felt very wrong using more sugar than flour - and they are most definitely more than sweet enough, I'll add a note below.. And also, these stuck like buggery to my silicone cupcake cups, NOTHING before has stuck to them. Best bake them using paper liners.


The Yummiest Scrummiest Chocolate Cupcakes courtesy of Glorious Treats

BEWARE - this makes 24 -27 standard cupcakes... I wish I had read that first as I would have halved the recipe hahaha


2 cups sugar (I used 1.5 cups)
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk (Fine with rice milk)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Line muffin tin with paper liners. Heat oven to 180*c
In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don't worry, this is right).
Fill liners 2/3 full with batter.
Bake cupcakes for approximately 22-24 minutes.
Cool completely on wire rack before icing.

Make them. You won't regret it.

4 comments:

  1. Thats a lot of liquid going in there, is it a super runny mixture?

    Kerry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's very runny, easiest to pour the mixture from a jug than to spoon it into the liners. From my experience, the runniest batters make the moistest cakes!

      Delete
  2. That recipe is very very similar to the Chelsea recipe I use (I use their favourite chocolate cake recipe for everything, makes the most awesome cake! All the ingredients are the same with the exception of the milk (uses 1 1/4 cups) and the water ( my recipe uses 3/4cup and a tablespoon coffee)
    Your right it makes the yummiest most moist cake ever! I always get loads of comments on it which is why i use it all the time. And it makes a huge cake (and have just made 48 mini cupcakes and a loaf sized cake out of it today!)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete