Tuesday 21 February 2012

Something I not only haven't made before but

also I have never eaten before! Scotch Eggs. Have you had scotch eggs before? Did you buy them already made at the deli, or did you make them yourself? It's something I have never had before. I like sausages. I love eggs. Why on earth have I never had them? lol

So guess what was dinner tonight? It's a hard one. And they were bloody yum! Not so good on the ol' diet though. One scotch egg is 383 calories. Then if you are a hungus like I am after an intense session at the gym, you will aim for 2 haha. I will be honest and say I was full enough after one. But I reallllly wanted another, so went another half in the end. I am full now that's for sure!

Anyways, here is the recipe if you have never made them before (it's all very straight forward but never mind)



Scotch Eggs

4 eggs, boiled and peeled (I wanted mine slightly soft/runny in the middle, to get that I put the eggs in a pot, fill it with enough water to cover them, and then turn the element on high. Set your timer straight away for 11 minutes. Perfect. If you are wanting runny yolks do 10 mins, and if you are wanting hard boiled do 12-13 minutes depending how hard you want them).

450g sausage meat

1 cup breadcrumbs

some rosemary, chives, parsley, salt and pepper (though if you buy supermarket sausage meat it's likely to already be salted, I omit the salt).

What To Do:

1. While the eggs are boiling, mix the herbs with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into four.

2. Peel the eggs, then flatten one piece of the meat mixture on a floured board. Pop an egg in the middle and with wet hands roll the meat around it to form an even coating, then roll into a ball. If the meat gets a bit too sticky to handle, use a little seasoned flour. Coat well with breadcrumbs (you can dip in beaten egg first before crumbing but I found it wasn't necessary). Set aside while you make the remaining three eggs.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and fry the Scotch eggs, turning constantly so they are brown all over. Next, lower the heat and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often, to ensure the sausage meat is cooked through.
4. When cooked, drain on kitchen towels and leave to cool. Cut them in half or quarters and serve with salad.

YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment