Thursday 24 May 2012

Jaffas!

Was just wracking my brain trying to think of what I felt like baking yesterday. I wanted something I hadn't made in a while. Then I remembered a recipe I had been thinking about the other day - Orange Cake. Only I also had a hankering for chocolate. What does orange + chocolate equal? Jaffa! Yeah baby, I now have jaffa cupcakes in the oven.

I used this orange cake recipe, added cocoa, put them into muffin tins and voila, you have jaffa cupcakes. Would love to have been bothered to make them all fancy-like, and also to have jaffas on hand to plop on top but you know me, I just like to whip up what I can with what's on hand and stuff the presentation side of things 99% of the time! 





Orange/Jaffa Cake


1 large orange (you can boil it for 5 mins for a stronger orange flavour... I'm too lazy)
185 grams melted butter
3 eggs
1 cup sugar (3/4 cups-ish is what I used)
1½ cups self raising flour
optional 3 Tbsp cocoa to jaffa-fy it

Chop and puree the whole orange (yes, skin and all) in a food processor.
Add the butter, eggs, sugar and flour (and cocoa). Mix well.
Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 18cm cake pan, or muffin tin.
Bake at 180*c for approx 50 minutes if cake, or 15mins for cupcakes.


Jaffa Cake - Ice with chocolate icing (I don't measure this, just icing sugar, a knob of butter and mix to a spreadable consistency with milk or water).

Orange Cake - orange icing, plain vanilla icing, whatever floats your boat really.


The cake itself is more orangey than chocolately, and with the chocolate icing it seems to have the perfect balance, I was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out!



ps. Like my page on Facebook :) http://www.facebook.com/tastytidbitsandrandomrambles

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really yummy. Will give this one a go as well. Love your recipes

    ReplyDelete