Wednesday 19 September 2012

Dinner time musings

So as I was cooking dinner this evening it occurred to me that I haven't shared this recipe with you lot. It comes from the same cookbook as my Saucy Meatloaf and the one I based my Devilled Sausages recipe on. The Watties Kiwi Favourites Cookbook. Seriously, my favourite cookbook ever. I used to make a Cottage Pie throwing together ingredients and thought it tasted pretty good. Then hubby brought home this cookbook, made this cottage pie, and I was converted to using the recipe!

It is one of my favourites, it's easy to make ahead of time and refrigerate until time to cook it (just remember if you do this it may need longer cooking time to get up to temperature). And it just tastes so damned good. The bacon really makes it I think. I use el cheapo rolled bacon because I'm el cheapo myself, and I use a good 5 or 6 rashers instead of the 2 they say to use. mmmMMMmMMMmm!

I don't have a photo of my finished product as a) it's still in the oven, and b) it doesn't plate up very prettily haha, so I have taken a photo of the picture in the recipe book! Cheater aye!



Cottage / Shepherds Pie
(You can only call it Shepherds Pie if it's using lamb mince... it's a random pet peeve of mine when people call it Shepherds Pie using beef haha!)

From the Watties Kiwi Favourites Cookbook
 
 
4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (I do a mix of kumera and potato)
1 egg, beaten
500g lamb or beef mince
2 (or 5 or 6..) rashers of bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
3 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp prepared mustard
1/2 tsp yeast extract, marmite or vegemite (it's a no brainer really, use vegemite!)
1-2 cups frozen mixed veges
1/2 cup cheese,grated (optional)
 
Preheat oven to 180*c
Cook potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water, drain, season with salt and pepper and mash. When cooled slightly quickly whip through the beaten egg (this is how I always do my mashed potato now, makes them so soft and fluffy without the wet taste of using milk and much better for you than using butter/cream/milk/whatever)
Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and brown the mince and bacon, then add the onion and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Dissolve the yeast extract (VEGEMITE!) in 1/2c boiling water. Add it to the mince with the frozen mixed veges and cook for a further 2 minutes before placing in an ovenproof dish.
Top with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with cheese (if desired).
Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the pie has heated through and the cheese has melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment